Tuesday 4 November 2014

Chickpea and Sweet Potato Curry

As the weather gets colder I am more inclined to spice up my food, and nothings easier than keeping a jar of curry paste in the fridge for when you need a curry kick.

Don't want to read the boring stuff? click here to jump to the recipe!

Indian cooking is some of the greatest hearty food I have ever tasted, and is loved and enjoyed by vegetarians and meat-eaters alike. My boyfriend won't go near a curry without some kind of chicken or beef in it, but I love the complexity and warmth that curry can lend to sometimes boring vegetables. Besides, nothing is stopping you from adding some cubed chicken or beef into this recipe!

In soups, I prefer to use curry powder, but in a skillet-environment I think the greatest weapon is curry paste. The advantage of using a paste is that the oil is already flavoured and the spices have had time to meld and mature - curry paste must be cooked throughly before adding liquids or it may cause cramping and diaherrha - but it is likely that you simply cannot tolerate spicy foods and may need to look at a more mild curry paste

Curry is often served with rice or bread - both are things that I only enjoy in moderation in my diet. The old me would have cried blasphemy at eating curry without pita or rice, when I think about it I would have rice with probably at least 5 of my weekly dinners. A cup of white rice is around 45 carbs and you get barely anything micronutrient wise. You can cut back on the caloric content in this dish by eating it alone without a carbohydrate, you will enjoy it just as much and your waistline will thank you in the future.

If you absolutely must eat this curry with something, I often eat meals like this on a bed of fresh spinach or with cauliflower mash or "rice", it takes a bit of getting used to, but cutting back on my rice habit was one of the key things that has allowed me to get to where I am today.

Your carbohydrate intake should be proportional to your level of activity. If you live a sedentary lifestyle, those carbohydrates will be stored instead of giving you energy like they are meant to. You may have been exposed to extreme low carb diets and I do think they are great in terms of curing the diabetic or treating the morbidly obese - but for a normal lifestyle I think the key is balance. If you move alot, eat more carbohydrates, if you don't move much, cutting carbs may be all you need to do to see some real results. At the time of writing this, I eat around 160 grams of carbyhydrate a day, which is aproximately 40% of my caloric intake. This suits someone young like me with moderate to high activity.

In with the curry paste! out with the rice! and maybe consider your overall carbohydrate intake.



Chickpea and Sweet Potato Curry
Makes 5 generous portions
Serving: 1.5 cup, 381cal, 17 fat, 49 carb, 12 protein

Curry
1 can chickpeas rinsed and drained 540ml
1 large sweet potato, cubed (mine was 450 grams, about 1.5cups)
1 chopped onion
3 tablespoons curry paste (I used korma)
1 can diced tomatoes 720ml
1 cup coconut milk*
1/2 cup frozen vegetables (peas carrots corn)*
1/2 cup roasted unsalted cashews
1/4 cup fresh cilantro to serve

Cook onion and sweet potato in oil until onion is softened

Add frozen vegetables, chickpeas, diced tomatoes and coconut milk, bring to boil then reduce heat

Simmer until sweet potato is tender and liquid has reduced (15-20 mins)

Stir in 1/2 cup of cashews

Serve with extra cashews and fresh chopped cilantro/

Add curry paste and cook for 1min until aroma is strong and curry paste is heated through.



*Substitutions
Use any canned bean; navy, kidney, lentils
Replace coconut milk with 1/2cup sour cream, or omit completely (you will lose creamy texture)
omit frozen vegetables, or use just peas, I would add spinach or peppers or anything I had in my fridge!



Freeze your extra coconut milk in an icecube tray then transfer into a ziplock bag.. you can use it in your next soup/curry!

When you make big pot dishes like this, seperate them into their serving size before storage, that way you won't be able to accidently overeat your portion.

Did I mention I brang puppies?



Love life and your body!

-Toni

Enjoy this recipe? help me out and give it a share!

No comments:

Post a Comment